Archolia Chapter 129 - The Monarch

 Queen Chalyela arrives at the castle and decides to consult with Smithmaster Tom of Crafthole, “Greetings Smithmaster.  I do not know if you have had opportunity to meet my cousin Jace…”

“Did you say Jace?” Smithmaster Tom interrupts with a look of horror on his face.
“Aye, I sent a scribe to the Kinship Location Guild and Jace responded, saying that he is my cousin.  I take it you know of him.”
 “Aye, unfortunately I do know of this shady character.  He came through Crafthole a few years ago and said some very rude things about my kingdom and its people.”
 Smithmaster Tom continues, “Are you sure that he is in fact of relation to you?”

“That is the thing Smithmaster.  I am beginning to have my doubts, but if he is, I am dependent on him for our family crest.”
“I  wish you well with that!” Smithmaster Tom states before walking away.
 Next Chalyela approaches Merchant Princess Eilonwy.  “Do you know of a man named Jace?  He has come here claiming to be my cousin.”
 Chalyela continues, “If he is in fact my cousin, I am dependent upon him for my family crest.”
“Jace?  You are kidding me, right?”
 “So you know of him?”

“That man!  Do not even get me started!” Princess Eilonwy states with disgust.
 “Grammercy Princess Eilonwy,” Chalyela states before Eilonwy walks away.
 Chalyela sits and eats a quick bowl of stew pondering all that she has heard about Jace.  She has no choice but to confront him; hoping to get to the truth.
Just as she rises to seek him out, he approaches her.  “Cousin, do you feed all of your important guests pig slop?  And why have I been subjected to eating my meal with worthless peasants and servants?” He says with pure malice in his voice.

Chalyela is shocked speechless at the level of rudeness coming from his mouth.
Chalyela chooses not to address his complaints.  “I was just speaking to Princess Eilonwy of Tredony and Smithmaster Tom of Crafthole and they had some colorful things to say about you.”
 “What is this foolishness?” Jace responds.

“I am not so sure that it is foolishness.  They both state that they have had encounters with you and none of them have been pleasant.”
 “They both said that you have been rude and caused much havoc within their territories.”
 Suddenly Jace erupts in anger.  “AND YOU BELIEVE THEM!”
 He continues, “You know…maybe I know nothing of this family crest that you seek.”
 “No!  Please!  If you have our family crest, I really need it!” Chalyela begs.
Jace calms quickly,  “Well you had better make this up to me.”
 Chalyela feels totally defeated.  She doubts that this man is her relative and doubts even more that he has her family crest, but unless she knows for sure, she will have to play along with his games.
She opens her eyes and pastes a smile onto her face.  “Actually, when I heard that you were coming, I had something made especially for you,” she manages to say in the most pleasant voice that she can muster.

Jace is pleased at the thought of receiving a gift.  “Ah, now this is how you treat a relative!’
 Jace unwraps his gift and does not even have the decency to leave the room before he changes into the fine garment that Chalyela had made for him.

“I expected better, but this will do,” he grumbles once he is fully dressed.
 Chalyela reluctantly brings up the subject of the crest once again.  “So…can I see the crest now?”
 “Yes,” Jace states in a annoying flat affect.

“Great!  Where is it?” Chalyela asks.
“Having this crest will mean so much to me!  I will finally have proof of our family royalty.”
“Crest, crest, crest!  Is that the only reason you invited me here?  Why not get to know your cousin?”  Jace unexpectedly shouts.
 “Of course I would like to get to know you,” Chalyela lies.

“Save it!” Jace says seeing through her lie.
“I will give you the crest when and IF I feel like it,” he says before leaving the room.



Click here to read more of the Kingdom of Archolia

Labels: ,