Archolia Chapter 127 - The Monarch

Chalyela quickly heads to her tactical map room to draft a pigeon in order to find any long lost; potentially royal family members.
As she sits, she wonders who she should draft her letter to.  Then she remembers that there are in fact guilds set up just for the purpose of locating and bringing together family members who have become separated, as families are often separated in times of war and great illnesses.
Chalyela addresses her letter to the guild: Dear Kinship Location Guild…
 Chalyela finishes her letter by telling the guild of her situation.  She mentions that she may have an Aunt who may be a duchess by the name of Beverly.
Satisfied with her letter, she approaches the pigeon posts and picks out a particularly sturdy and strong looking pigeon.
 “This is perhaps the most important  scroll that I shall ever send.  Please see that it gets delivered,” she says in sort of a prayer to the pigeon before releasing it and watching it fly away.
A few days letter, Chalyela approaches Justian the Servant, “Please prepare the guest suit.  I have a relative arriving tomorrow morning.”

“Yes, Your Majesty.”
Chalyela continues,” And for supper, please use only the best cuts of meat.  This is a very important visitor.”
 “Right away Your Majesty.  Shall I send a hunter out for the freshest venison or boar?”

Chalyela is pleased with Justian’s thinking, “Yes, that would be even more pleasing.  Send Hunter Felicia as she is the best hunter in the kingdom.”
 Next Chalyela approaches Kenna,  “I have succeeded in locating a relative who possesses our family crest.  I just received his scroll.  He is due to arrive in the morning.”
 “He?  This relative is not your aunt Beverly?”

“No, unfortunately my aunt has passed from this world.  This relative is her son… my cousin.”
“This is pleasing news indeed.  I will alert the castle staff and we shall get this place in the best of shape to welcome your cousin,” Kenna says, genuinely happy for the queen.
 Chalyela is also pleased, but is also slightly uneasy.  She never expected the guild to locate her relative so quickly.
With all duties complete, Chalyela retreats to her suite in order to be well rested for her cousin’s arrival. 
 The playful chatter of Princess Adela and Prince Ivan the 2nd wakes her early the next morning.  She is actually pleased with the early wake-up call.  She wants to inspect the castle to see that it is fit for her cousin.
 As she enters the throne room, her cousin’s arrival is officially announced.
Now face-to-face with her supposed cousin, Chalyela is surprised. 

Her cousin greets her cheerfully, “Aw, there you are dear cousin!  Surely you remember me!  I am your cousin Jace.”
Chalyela is shocked that Jace addresses her as if they have met before, but Chalyela has no recognition of this cousin.  “Pray pardon, but I do not believe that we have met.  How is it that you are not black?” She says, praying that her cousin will forgive her rude question.
 “Of course I am…I am just fair-skinned.  Just as my father was.”

“You mean your father the duke?”
“Duke?  Yes, yes…of course…my father the duke.”  Jace says before sharply turning on his feet.  “But if this meeting is about me proving our relation, than maybe I shall leave and take our family crest with me,”  Jace says walking away very slowly, giving Chalyela plenty of time to stop him.
“No, no…please do not go.  I apologize for my inquiries.  I have not had many opportunities to meet any extended family members.  Please…you are most welcome d here…cousin.” Chalyela says attempting to make up for her shameful questions.
 “Well you should apologize and I hope that you plan on making this up to me.  I do not like being made to feel unwelcomed.”  Jace says taking advantage of Chalyela’s obvious shame.

“Yes, yes of course I shall make it up to you,” Chalyela begins.
 She continues by changing the subject. “So, dear cousin…you said that you are in possession of our family crest.  May I see it?”

“Sorry cousin, I misspoke.  I do not  have it, but it is in my memory. ..”
“But…” Chalyela begins before stopping to choose her next words carefully.  “I thought that was the reason for your visit.”

“It is…did I say that I did not have it?  I do have it, but not on me right now…” Jace begins.
“We have time for that.  Come, show me your kingdom!” Jace  continues in a rude demanding voice.

Chalyela begins to doubt this “cousin”, but does not dare say anything about it, in case he actually does have the crest.

Click here to read more of the Kingdom of Archolia

Labels: ,