Archolia Chapter 113 - The Physician & Merchant

Percival and Felicia retreat to their bed and stare at Iliana.
 
 “She is beautiful,” Percival says,  “Maybe we should not wait long for another.”  He says leaning in attempting to hold Felicia.

“No Percival!  I just had a baby.  I am not ready for that.”
 
 Now they both sit uncomfortable.  It is no secret that their marriage is more of an agreement than one full of love.  The two of them still have a hard time crossing over into a passionate longing for one another.  Half the time, Felicia just wishes that Percival would leave her alone.
 
 “I am sorry Percival. I just do not feel like doing that right now.”

“I am sorry as well.  I should be more sensitive.  It cannot be easy to deliver a child.”
 
 “I am sure that I will be ready soon.  I promise,” Felicia says.
 
 “Can I at least hold you?” Percival asks in his most polite voice.

Felicia moves over in the bed.  “Sure.  I would like that.”
 
 It is evening time.  Gavin goes upstairs to enjoy another bowl of stew, while Jolene is downstairs restocking their supply of tonic.
 
 Before bed, Gavin goes down to his archives for a little more research.  He decides to research each of the separate symptoms of this mysterious illness.  Maybe he can come up with a link between the symptoms to figure out what this infirmity is. 
 
 Percival is in the mood to celebrate.  He walks over to the tavern, but finds it to be nearly empty.  However, the Watcher appears to be by his side, because standing in the corner is none other than Baker Rogelio.
“Ah!  Baker Rogelio, I am glad to have run into you.”
“What can I do for you Shopkeeper?”

“What do you know of this mysterious malady that is going around?”
“I am afraid not much.  What has it to do with me?”

“I spoke with one of the ill villagers earlier and he mentioned that he had eaten sweets from your shop before getting sick.”
“Impossible!  I have not strayed from my normal routine. I tend shop, make deliveries and purchase grain…nothing unusual.”  
“What about the grain?  Did you purchase it from your usual supplier?”

“Now that you mention it…no.  My wife found a new supplier.  We have been able to purchase grain for half the price.”
“Do you still have this grain…are you still using it?”

“I traded a lot of it.  Then I gave the leftover grain to my wife to brew.”
“I really need to ask you for an important favor.  I need to ask you to go and see Surgeon Gavin as soon as possible.”

“Why would I do that?  I am not ill,”  The baker asks confused.
“Yes, but if the grain that you are using is infected, you may be carrying some sort of illness.”

“I highly doubt that it is the grain, but if it will help make my paying customers well again, I will go and see the surgeon.”
Rogelio leaves the tavern and begins walking to the clinic. 
After some rest, Gavin is feeling a lot better.  He goes over to his wash basin and splashes cold water on his face.  His research did not reveal a solution, but he knows that he has to keep pushing forward.
Gavin walks into the clinic waiting room, “OK, who is next?”  He asks.
“Surgeon Gavin!  I am baker Rogelio.  Shopkeeper Percival begged me to come and see you.”
“Ah good to see you.  Are you ill?”

“No, but the shopkeeper believes that I may be carrying a virus caused by grain that I recently purchased.”

“I see.  Please allow me to take a blood sample.”
Gavin takes his syringe and pulls out a small amount of the shopkeeper’s blood.
Gavin takes the sample to the back and compares it to Lynn’s blood.  Once he has his results, he returns to the baker.  “I am sorry to inform you that you are carrying the infection.  I think Percival may be on to something regarding your grain.”
“What are you implying surgeon?  Are you saying that it is my fault that everyone is sick?”

“I am not saying that, but… do you still have the grain?”

Click here to read more of the Kingdom of Archolia

Labels: , ,