Archolia Chapter 112 - The Physician & Merchant

 Percival leaves the tavern hoping that his words have hit the mark in Gavin.  If the surgeon loses hope…there is no hope.  Only after he is outside the tavern does he notice Gavin’s son Godfrey walking next to him…as if he has been cued.
 Upon his return to the market, Percival notices a man standing next to one of the stalls. He appears to be in very poor health.  Percival decides to question him.
 “Greetings  good sir.  Might I ask how you are feeling this fine day?”  Percival says walking up to him.
 “If I might be honest, I am not feeling very well.  In fact, I have fallen quite ill.”

“So sorry to hear that.  May I ask how you may have contracted your malady?  Have you done anything out of the ordinary?”
 “I have done nothing unusual.  I have completed an honest day’s work and tended to my flock.  Well…my wife did surprise me with a fine sweet from Baker Rogelio’s Shop.  It was quite delicious I might add.”

“Rogelio’s shop?”  Percival questions more to himself than to this ailing villager. “ Thanks sir  for  your time.”
 Speaking to the villager gives Percival an idea.  “I will go to the village and interview some of the other ill refugees,” Percival says out loud to himself.
“Maybe there is some sort of connection between them.”
 Back at the clinic, Gavin runs into his wife Jolene.  “Gavin, I heard about patient Lynn.  I came as soon as I received the news, but you were not here.”
 Gavin speaks with slurred words, dripping with proof of his intoxication. “Yeah, well I-”

Jolene  bursts out in anger. “You have been at the tavern again!”
 “Well I only-”

“No Gavin!  Do not lie to me.  I have pretended not to notice for too long.  You can not continue with the drinking.”
 As Jolene walks away, she says one more thing. “I know it is hard Gavin.  It is never easy to lose a patient, but if you also lose yourself…we are all doomed.”
 Gavin has a heavy heart as he walks upstairs.  He turned to drinking to seek comfort, but in the process has hurt those around him.  He makes a stew to help clear his head.
 With the effects of the ale somewhat nullified by the warm stew, Gavin returns to his wife.  “I am so sorry Jolene.  I was not thinking.  Please forgive me.”
 “Gavin, there is nothing to forgive.  None of us are perfect, but I need you to keep a clear head…”
 Jolene continues, “Only you can rid this kingdom of this mysterious sickness. It may seem hopeless, but I know you can do it.”
 Meanwhile, Percival is at the village speaking with some of the ailing refugees.  All of them show the same symptoms: yellow skin, mouth sores and a feeling that death is not far off.  However, when asked how they got sick, their responses varied. 
 Some of the ill blamed the Watcher, some claimed that they became sick after being bitten by rodents and one even blamed his illness on drinking ale.  Percival does not feel any closer to finding a clear cause. 
 When he returns home, he is greeted by his wife.  “Our daughter is here!” Felicia announces happily.
 “What?” Percival says, but his question is answered when he glances upon the tiny crib next to Felicia on the ground.
 He is drawn to her.  His precious firstborn child.
“Have you named her?”  He asks his wife.

“No, I thought I would leave that part to you.”

Immediately a vision of
his beloved mother creeps up in Percival’s mind.  “Her name shall be Iliana, after my late mom.”  Felicia agrees to the lovely name.

Click here to read more of the Kingdom of Archolia

Labels: , ,