Archolia Chapter 111 - The Physician & Merchant

While Percival is at his stall, Town Crier Bertram walks over and gives him a message from the pigeon post.  “I believe this is from a merchant in Tredony,” Bertram says.
 
 Percival makes a quick sell, then he opens the scroll.  His merchant contact in Tredony reveals that they know nothing of any mysterious plague going around.
 
 Percival is disappointed, but does not give up hope.  He still has yet to hear from Crafthole.  He decides that he could use a drink and maybe some lively music.  He walks into the Tavern and sees Surgeon Gavin sitting alone looking to be in a bad state.
 
 In Gavin’s hand is a goblet of the strongest ale available at the Tavern.  He is determined to drink until he has forgotten everything.  It is the only way he will be able to sleep tonight.
 
 Percival does not need to ask, but he knows not what else to say, “How is it going Surgeon?  Have you come closer to a cure?”
 
 “Oh! Qh…quite the opposite.  You …you know the vill…ager named …Lynn that you had visit me.  Well…she…she is dead now.  Why?  Because I failed her… that is why!” Gavin says in a drunken voice.  He is clearly intoxicated and can barely stand.
 
 “All is not lost Surgeon,” Percival trying to convince himself as much as Gavin.

“Oh but you are wrong!  That is what I am trying to tell you.  If I cannot figure out why these villagers are sick… I CANNOT HEAL THEM!”  Gavin’s voice reveals his disgust for himself.
 
 “Maybe I can help with that.  I will go to the village and interview some of the refugees.  I am sorry about Lynn’s death, but I believe that one of them will be able to give us something that we can use.”

Gavin laughs with a drunken grin on his face.  “You do that…in the meantime I am going to drink until my cursed head explodes.”
 
 Gavin walks over to the cask and fills another goblet.
He sits at a table and quickly downs every ounce of ale…
 
 …still, he cannot get Lynn’s face out of his mind.
Gavin sits with yet another ale in his hand.  Percival decides that it is time to intervene.  Gavin is their only hope.  Percival must get him off of this path of self destruction.


“Do you know who visits the market everyday bragging about his father?”  Percival waits, but Gavin does not answer.  “A young man by the man of Godfrey.  He is your son, is he not?  Well, he is convinced that his father can cure even the rarest of illnesses.  But…”

Percival stops and gets up from his chair.  “…I wonder what he would say if he saw his father now?”


Percival’s words hit right where he wanted them to.  Gavin gets up from his chair.  “I have got to get home,” he says quietly.
As Gavin is leaving the tavern, he overhears a couple of bar patrons talking.  “Yeah, now I can see how his patients are dying by the handfuls.  As many drinks as I have seen him toss down, I would not trust my cows in his care,” the first guy says.
“I heard that he killed Lynn today.  Maybe he mixed ale in place of the herbs.  I bet she never saw it coming.  Poor old wench,” the second patron says laughing.
Gavin taps the second guy on the shoulder.  “I would appreciate it if you would not discuss Lynn in that way,” Gavin says.
“Or what? What will you do you old tosspot?”  The patron answers. 


Gavin pushes him and the two of them break out into a fight.

Although he is beyond drunk, Gavin is suddenly very aware of what he is doing, but something in him will not stop.
Gavin grabs the loud mouth guy and throws him to the ground.
Gavin wins the fight.  “Now I would appreciate it if you do not mention Lynn again.”


“Sorry, sorry. I meant no harm.”

The patron leaves the bar.  Gavin is not proud of his behavior, but he does feel a bit better.
He decides to return home to get some rest and possibly sleep off his ale so that he can return to what he does best…heal.

Click here to read more of the Kingdom of Archolia

Labels: , ,