Archolia Chapter 109 - The Physician & Merchant

 Gavin is feeling stressed and is in need of a drink. 
 With Jolene out of the clinic and no one around to stop him, Gavin decides to give in to his desire.
 
 He brews a light ale; something that Jolene will not smell on his breathe.
 Gavin drinks down a goblet and immediately feels calm.
 Gavin’s drinking is cut  short when a very ill looking patient walks into the clinic.  “Are you the surgeon?”

“Aye madam.  Were you sent by Shopkeeper  Percival?” Gavin asks suspecting that Percival has fulfilled his promise.
“Aye he asked me to come and see you.”

“Will you allow me to examine you?” Gavin examines Lynn and notes that she has the same symptoms as the other  ailing villager.
 He finishes his examination, although he already knows what he is dealing with.
 “So what is it doctor?  I am very busy.  Just give me a tonic so I can go and see about my work.”
 
 “I am sorry madam.  I am afraid it is not as simple as that. I need to see you in my operating room.”




 Lynn reluctantly agrees to allow Gavin to operate on her.
 “I will need to drain your blood and medicate you,” Gavin says right before placing leeches on Lynn’s face.
“You are probably feeling very weak and lethargic.  After I medicate you, you will feel much better.”
 Gavin uses the funnel to medicate Lynn. 
 Gavin releases Lynn from the operating table.  “How are you feeling?” Gavin asks, hoping for the best.
 “I feel drugged, but my symptoms feel the same.”

“Hmm, allow me to take a blood sample.  I will attempt to make a prototype antivirus from your infected blood.”
 “If that is all surgeon, I shall be on my way,” Lynn says clearly impatient with Gavin’s failed attempt at healing her.
 “Miss, you cannot leave.  I need you remain here at the clinic so that I can continue my treatments.”

Lynn is not happy with this news, but she agrees to stick around.
Back at the market, Percival receives happy news from his wife Felicia.
 “We have succeeded,” She announces sticking out her protruding belly.

“You mean…we are finally parents?”
 “Well not quite, but we are working on it,” Felicia answers as Percival places his hand on her stomach.



Percival looks Felicia in the eye,” How are you feeling?”

“Honestly, I do not feel so good.  I believe that I have come down with some type of illness.”
 “What?” Percival says turning away from her.  He does not mean to hurt her feelings, but he does not want to take a chance at catching the illness that is going around.
 “You will not give me a hug after my good news?” Felicia sounds hurt.

Suddenly Percival is ashamed of his behavior towards her.
 
  Still, he does not hug her.  “I shall summon the surgeon,” he says instead.



 After receiving a pigeon from Percival, Gavin arrives to examine Felicia.  “Well, your tongue is not swollen.  That is a good sign.”
 “Let us see,” he says lifting her arm.  “You have no fever and your reflexes are superb.”
 Finally he gives his diagnosis.  “You have a slight infection, but the cure will be quick and easy.”  Gavin applies leeches to Felicia’s face.
 He allows them to drain a small amount of Felicia’s blood.
Felicia can feel the illness melting away. 

“How do you feel?” Gavin asks.

“Much better,” she answers, relieved to have not contracted the sickness that is going around..



Click here to read more of the Kingdom of Archolia

Labels: , ,