Archolia Chapter 84 - The Monarch & Physician

Surgeon Gavin stands in the middle of the waiting room researching symptoms.
Nurse Jolene rushes into the room.  “Oh Gavin!”  She says grabbing his hand with a large smile on her face.
“What is it my love?  What has put such a grand smile on your face?”
“I am with child!  I waited until I was sure.  I tested myself moments ago.”
Gavin is thrilled to hear the good news.  “Oh Jolene!  I am so happy! How are you feeling?”
“I feel fine Gavin.  I believe all is well.”
Gavin cannot remember the last time he has felt so happy.  He can feel tears pooling in his eyes but this time they are tears of joy.
Gavin insists on examining Jolene.  He checks her tongue.  Everything is fine.
He takes a look at her arm.  “I feel fine Gavin, really,” Jolene insists.

“Just making sure,” he responds.
“You are perfectly healthy!”  He announces.
“I told you,” Jolene answers, but her eyes are not on Gavin.  She is staring in surprise at Queen Chalyela standing behind him. 
Gavin turns to face Chalyela and Jolene walks away, feeling confident that Gavin is finally over his relationship with the queen.  At least Jolene hopes that he is.
“Your majesty!”  Gavin greets her, unable to mask the surprise  in his voice.



“Greetings Surgeon Gavin. I pray that you could help me with an issue that could effect the whole kingdom.”
Gavin takes a moment to assess his feelings now that he is face to face with the queen once again.  Although he still cares deeply for her, he knows that his heart is with his wife.  “How may I be of service?”



“There is a huge scandal that if spread will threaten the well being of our relationship with Tredony.”  Chalyela begins before quietly telling him all about Kenna’s relationship with Lady Suzanne.
“So you need some news that would distract the citizens,” Gavin says showing his understanding of the situation.
“Yes!  Yes Gavin, that would work,” Chalyela says softly.  “If there is news of greater importance, everyone would focus on that!”
She continues. “Well, I do have some big news.  Knight Captain Ivan and I were married in a private ceremony and now I am expecting.  Is that news enough?”
“Ah!  Congratulations to you and your new husband!” Gavin says with genuine excitement.
“What a coincidence!  Jolene and I are expecting as well!” He adds.



“Oh! What great news Gavin!  Our children will grow up together!  Maybe they will be friends.”
“That would be great, but M’Lady…I do not believe that your news would be big enough of a distraction.  We need something bigger,” Gavin says in a contemplative voice.
“I think I have an idea.”



Chalyela is happy to hear this.
“I can only think of one thing that is big enough to scare the rumors right out of the mouths of the gossipers.”
Gavin lowers his voice so only the queen can hear him, “We are going to have to create a fake epidemic of the plague.”
“You are a genius …and you have always been a good friend. .. I am so sorry that I hurt you.”



“Do not fret, our relationship was ne’er meant to be,” Gavin answers. The two of them are uncomfortable.
Suddenly Gavin’s voice is all business, “Now I must examine our newly expecting queen.  Open your mouth please!’
“Looking good!  You seem to be in great health.  We should expect a very healthy royal baby.”
“Meet me in your throne room in an hour.  We have a big announcement that we need to make if this thing is going to go over well.”
“OK, but before I leave Gavin, please tell me that we can be friends once again.”
Chalyela continues, “I never intended to lose you as a friend, Gavin.  I could not bear it if I lost you for good.”
“You have never lost my friendship M’lady.  I will always be here for you.”



“Thank you Gavin.”
“Now you had better go if we are going to pull this thing off.”
Chalyela and Gavin spend a few moments staring; not knowing what to say to each other.  Although it was never meant for them to be involved romantically, they know that they will always have a space in their hearts for each other.
Click here to read more of the Kingdom of Archolia

Labels: , ,