Archolia Chapter 78 - The Merchant & Knight

Later in the evening, Percival goes to the barracks to spend time with Ivan. He really wants to get to the point where he can ask him to be his best man.
As Percival is speaking, they can both hear his stomach growling. Embarrassed, Percival explains, “I am sorry.  I just returned from a trip to Crafthold.  I have not had opportunity to eat yet.”
“I have plenty of meat in my larder.  Make yourself some stew.  I would join you, but I am tired, so I am going to bed.”
Ivan and Percival head downstairs.  Percival sees the fact that Ivan offered him food as a good sign that they may be becoming friends.  Even if it is not, it is a kind gesture.
Percival opens the larder and eyes all of the fish and meat that Ivan has stored there.  Although he greedily eyes the boar and venison, he settles for the pigeon meat just to be polite. 
Ivan lies down in his bed, while Percival sits down with his bowl of pigeon stew.
Percival cannot contain himself as he hungrily licks his bowl.  He is glad that Ivan is sleeping and not witnessing his poor eating habits. He finishes up and heads home.
The next morning, he leaves the market for Ivan’s barracks once again.  He is determined to straight out ask Ivan to be his best man.
“Good morning Knight Captain-”
“You may call me Ivan if you please,” Ivan offers although it is unusual for someone of such a high rank to allow a lowly peasant to call him by just his name.
“Thank you…Ivan, and thank you for the meal.  I wanted to know if you would be my best man?”
“Sure!  I would be honored.  When do you plan to marry?”
“I was hoping to marry Felicia tonight.”
“That can be done…just be sure to see the queen and request the banquet hall.  I will see about securing proper wedding attire and rings.  This should be fun!”
Percival is grateful for Ivan’s kindness.  They both set out to complete their duties in order to prepare for Percival’s wedding.
Percival enters the castle and is pleased that the queen agrees to see him right away.
“Good to see you Shopkeeper Percival.  How may I help you?”
“Greetings your majesty.  I am pleased that you agreed to see me.”
“I am here to get your permission to marry today and Knight Captain Ivan , my best man, told me to ask to use the banquet hall.”
“Whom are you planning to marry ?”  Chalyela asks and Percival tells her.
“Huntswoman Felicia?  You know you could do better.  She is headstrong and a nagger.”
“Aye, but I believe she would make a fine companion.”
“OK…I shall offer you a discount on your marriage license because you are a friend of Knight Captain Ivan.  Go and see my advisor.”
Ivan is on his way to town to purchase wedding garments and rings.
Percival enters the tactical map room and spots Advisor Kenna sitting at the scribe table.
“Greetings, I was told by the Queen to see you for a marriage license.  She has said that she will give me a discount.”
Kenna takes the bag of simoles.  “I will complete the paperwork.  You are now free to marry!” She announces.
Percival is ready to marry.  The only thing he has left to do is to see Ivan for his wedding clothing and rings.

Click here to read more of the Kingdom of Archolia

Labels: , ,