Archolia Chapter 57 - The Physician

Gavin wakes the next morning feeling no better than he did the evening before.
He starts his day out making a few tonics to keep on hand in case a need arises.
As he finishes a tonic, Nurse Jolene rushes past.  “I can not do this any longer!  I have to leave from here!”
Gavin hurries outside to stop her,  “Jolene wait!  Please do not leave.  Tell me what I can do!”


She stops and turns, but he can see from her face that he has no hope of convincing her to stay this time.
“Oh Gavin!  It is no use!  I have tried everything to break this curse.  I have sprinkled salt around my doors and windows, covered all of the mirrors in the house…even slept with fish bones under my pillow.  I am doomed!”


“Jolene, please let me help,”  Gavin begs.
He continues, “If I help you find a way to break this curse, will you return to the clinic?”

Jolene is hopeful, “Would you do that Gavin…for me?”
“Of course Jolene.  You are my best friend and my biggest help.  I cannot run this clinic without you.”


“Thank you,” she says before turning and hurrying away.  “I must leave before something bad happens.”
Jolene feels bad leaving Gavin to run the clinic alone, but she knows that if anyone can help her break the curse, it is him.  She puts her fate in his hands.
Without hesitation, Gavin turns to his archives.
Gavin pulls out book after book, looking for solutions on breaking a curse.
Finding nothing in his books, Gavin tries to think of where he can find info on breaking curses.
Last night at the tavern, he overheard another patron speaking of a visiting knight who has spent a lot of time in foreign lands.  Surely he would know about curses.
Unfortunately for Gavin, the most logical place for a visiting knight to be is at the castle; the very last place Gavin would like to visit right now.
Still, Jolene is very important to him and he has to do what he can to ensure that she returns to the clinic.
Gavin looks around the castle.  He spots the visiting knight in the tactical map room.  Queen Chalyela is standing a few feet away.
Gavin manages to capture the knight’s attention without Chalyela noticing him.  She is the last person he wants to speak to right now.
Unable to help himself, Gavin stands and stares at her longer than he needs to. His heart says to call her name and beg for another chance to make her happy, but his prideful head will not allow it.
Finally, he leaves the room, but his thoughts are still in the room with her; longing to place his lips on her neck just to hear her moan. 
He forces himself to focus on Jolene’s problem.  Gavin introduces himself to the knight, called Sir Geoffrey the Inebriated.
Sir Geoffrey stares at Gavin with uninterested eyes.  Gavin does not allow that to distract him from his mission. “Sir Geoffrey, I have heard of your travels far and wide and I wondered if you might tell me what you know of curses.”
“I might,” is all that Sir Geoffrey says in response.  It is obvious to Gavin that Sir  Geoffrey is not used to lowering himself to speak with someone of Gavin’s status.
It is not the first time Gavin has encountered this type of attitude.  He continues, “Well I wondered if you might know of any cures to such curses.”
“In my travels I have heard talk of curses,” Sir Geoffrey admits.
“Do you know of any cures?” Gavin asks once again.
“I do not participate in such gossip.  If you are interested in hearing ole wives’ tales…”
“…I suggest you consult an ole wife.  Now where can I find a drink?”  Sir Geoffrey says walking away.

Click here to read more of the Kingdom of Archolia

Labels: ,