Archolia Chapter 54 - The Physician

Ermine’s message was spread not only throughout Archolia, but also Tredony, Crafthole and territories all around.  People found new hope and renewed faith through the new Peteran principles.  So many heard and spread Ermine’s book around that the leaders of the faith decided to raise her to the title of Prioress. 
Meanwhile, Archolia continued to grow.  Queen Chalyela succeeded in her mission to  build a tavern as a source of entertainment for everyone in the kingdom. Men and women from all around had great times and met new friends in this tiny building whose very walls oozed high spirits and laughter.
Things however were not so joyful for Bloodletter Gavin.  The creases on his face told a story of heartbreak and lost love.  Things all around him seemed to fall apart and it was up to him to find renewed joy within his weary heart.
Gavin glances around the clinic and notices that Nurse Jolene has not completed any of her duties.  Usually very dependable, suddenly she has not cleaned the floors, filled out the patient logs or organized his herbs and medications.  Concerned, he approaches her, “Might I have a word?”
Nurse Jolene follows Gavin upstairs.  “I just need a moment she says,” before approaching the cabinet that sits in the corner of the room.  She takes off her nurse’s mask and places it in the cabin.
When he has her attention, Gavin shows his concern for her. “Nurse Jolene, I notice that you have left some things undone.  Is something the matter?”

“I hoped it would not come to this Bloodletter, but I am cursed.  As long as I work here, the clinic will be cursed!”  She answers.
Over time, Gavin and Jolene have become the best of friends.  He knows that she is a level headed person, but for the life of him, he cannot understand why she would believe that she is cursed.  “Why would you say such a thing?”
“Look around Gavin,” she says addressing him as a friend, “We have seen too many lost lives…too much blood shed.  Even my own health is failing, I say there is an omen on the clinic and I cannot continue working here!”
“Jolene, I depend on you!  This clinic would not be the same without you by my side.  Please consider staying on.  This clinic will not survive without you.”


Jolene considers this.  “I know  Gavin, but I am afraid.  I…I will stay, but as long as I am here, the curse will continue.”
“Thank you Jolene.  Now if I may, let me take a look at those symptoms.”
“Thank you Gavin.”
Gavin takes a close look at Jolene’s tongue.  He sees nothing unusual.
He lifts her arm, but there are no signs of illness.
“Jolene, there is absolutely nothing wrong with you.  I do not understand from whence your symptoms came.”


“It is the curse I say!” Jolene insists.
“Jolene, take your time and come down when you are ready.”
Gavin approaches his craft table with concern for his friend; at the same time dealing with his grief over his breakup with Chalyela.
Gavin searches his unorganized stock for the herbs that he needs to prepare a salve.  His mind is on everything but his task.  “Maybe we are both cursed”, Gavin says to himself.
As soon as Gavin attempts to shake the mix of herbs, the entire contents explode in his face.  “Just like my love life and this clinic without Jolene!” Gavin says  feeling totally defeated.
Gavin hangs his head giving in to the pain in his heart. 

Click here to read more of the Kingdom of Archolia

Labels: ,