Archolia Chapter 46 - The Peteran Priest & Monarch

Chalyela continues with her commitment to help Sister Ermine.  She approaches Merchant Princess Eilonwy.
“Sister Ermine is giving a special sermon in a bit.  I wanted to invite you to attend.”

“Sure, I would be glad to.”
Next Chalyela approaches Bricklayer Cho, requesting that he also attends the sermon.
“I am at your service M’Lady,” Cho says agreeing to attend.

“Glad to hear!” Chalyela says happy that she has fulfilled her promise.
Chalyela makes her way to the church.  She wants to let Sister Ermine know that she is to expect full pews for her sermon.
“I have done as I said I would.  You now have your audience, I hope that you have prepared an inspiring sermon.”

“Aye M’lady.  I have prepared two.  If they are bored with the first, I shall  transition into the second sermon.”
She continues, “Still I cannot help but be nervous.  How can I compete with the interesting things of the faire?”
“You are not to compete.  You are to teach the truth, straight from the word of the Watcher.  The Watcher shall be with you.”
“Thank you your majesty.  Might I ask that you join me in prayer?”

“Or course your Grace,” Chalyela says before lifting her hands to join the good sister in prayer.
“Watcher, I pray that you guide me and give me the words to speak onto your people.  I pray that your message touches their hearts and leads them back to you,” Ermine prays as the Watcher’s spirit surrounds them.
After the prayer, Chalyela leaves to attend to her duties, leaving Sister Ermine alone.  She knows that the Watcher will guide her, but she still feels that there has to be a way for her to better reach the parishioners.  There has to be something that she is missing.
As Chalyela leaves the church…
…the church pews slowly begin to fill with those awaiting Ermine’s sermon.
Chalyela plans on returning to hear Ermine’s sermon, but for now she has other matters to attend to.  Including her personal situation with Bloodletter Gavin and Sir Ivan.
Chalyela racks her brain for a solution to her problem.  How does she avoid hurting a good, wonderful man, while allowing her heart the opportunity to explore its feelings for another.
Chalyela sits at her scribe table to draft a couple of new laws; realizing that she must find a solution to her personal problems soon, because it is affecting her ability to concentrate on her tasks.
She drafts her second law and stamps it with her royal seal.
A few hours later, she is in a front pew awaiting Sister Ermine’s special sermon.
Sister Ermine is pleased to see a full church and Chalyela is glad to see that everyone who said they would attend are indeed present.
Sister Ermine begins, “Greetings!  I am pleased to see so many of you congregating this eve.  I want to speak to you about faith…”
Sir Ivan sits in a lone pew listening carefully to the good sister’s words. He knows something about faith.  He has seen faith at work many times in his life.  His eyes navigate to Chalyela.  He has faith that she will be in his arms soon.
Ermine has the congregation’s full attention as she proceeds, “I understand that the things of the world are exciting.  I get excited as well, but we must be sure to tap into our faith.  Be sure you are in tune with what the Watcher wants for your life.”
Sister Ermine finishes her sermon.  She decides to approach those who were asked to attend by the queen and ask how she can improve the church to attract more to the Peteran faith. She approaches Lady Eilonwy, “How do you think I could improve what I am doing here?”
So as not to embarrass her, Lady Eilonwy whispers her suggestion in Ermine’s ear, “Peteran Robes are a bit dated.  Maybe you should look into updating your look.”
Next, she approaches Royal Advisor Kenna, asking the same question.  “I know not how you would incorporate it within the church, but I know at the faire, the liquor casks have been quite popular.  Maybe you could offer liquor?”
Sister Ermine finds Kenna’s suggestion to be sort of odd, but she has a point.  Maybe she could find a very light liquor to offer after services.
Bricklayer Cho has ideas of his own, many of them Ermine would never consider.  “Thank you for your suggestions,” she says to be polite.
While Ermine is busy asking the opinion of some of her attendees, Ivan has a confession for Chalyela, “I could not keep my eyes off of you.  My heart cannot take that you continue to see another man, especially as I believe that you want to be with me as much as I want to be with you.”
Chalyela chooses not to affirm or deny what Ivan says.  Instead she walks away.  It would be too painful to break Gavin’s heart, especially after she has promised that she would never do so.
Ermine can see that Ivan’s mind is elsewhere as she approaches to ask his opinion.  Still, he does offer her a suggestion, “Perhaps you could improve your story telling.  At certain moments in the service, I found my mind drifting.  With good stories you could capture and keep everyone’s attention.”
“Thank you Sir Ivan, I shall consider that.”

Sir Ivan turns and quickly walks away; not intending to be rude, but his heart is too heavy to remain there.  He must be by himself for a while.
He leaves the church without so much as giving the queen a final glance.  She realizes that she must make a decision very quickly.

Click here to read more of the Kingdom of Archolia

Labels: , ,