Archolia Chapter 45 - The Peteran Priest & Monarch

Queen Chalyela awakes the next morning.  She decides that an upgrade to her look is in order.  Royal Advisor Kenna assists her.
Chalyela is satisfied with her new look.  She feels regal and authoritative.
Her first stop is to check out the renovations to the banquet hall.  She is pleased with Build Master Krispin’s work.
Chalyela plans to host several foreign dignitaries in the years to come and wants more than anything to impress them and gain their respect.
Chalyela leaves the banquet hall and enters the tactical map room.   Sir Ivan is there to her surprise, but although her pulse increases and she suddenly feels nervous, she pretends to ignore him.
“Good morrow M’Lady.  You look-” Sir Ivan catches himself.  He does not want to risk another unwanted compliment, “I mean…uh…are you in good health.”

Chalyela cannot help but smile at Ivan’s discomfort. “I am well,” she answers simply.
Feeling flustered and awkward, which is so unlike her, she continues,” I was actually looking for you,” Chalyela admits.
“Oh were you?” Ivan says not masking the hope in his voice.


Chalyela picks up on it and almost forgets what she wanted to say.  “Uh…yes.  Sister Ermine is giving a special sermon today and I hoped you would attend.”
“Anything for my beau-” Ivan clears his throat, “I mean M’Lady.”
“Are you attempting to flirt with me?” Chalyela asks.


Ivan cringes as if he has been caught breaking the law.
“Oh no…no M’Lady!  I would not purposely disrespect your relationship with the Bloodletter.” Ivan says quickly.
“Yeah…that,” Chalyela says under her breathe.


“What twas that M’Lady?” Ivan asks unable to make out what she said.
“Well if that is all…I’ll just make my way to the church,” Ivan says excusing himself.
Chalyela quickly stops him.  “Actually – there is something else.  When you have time, I shall like to hear more of your…um…adventure stories.”
Ivan is confused at the queen’s sudden flustered, somewhat flirty demeanor. 
“Are you flirting with me?” He asks in a joking tone.

Chalyela smiles, but does not deny anything.
She leans in a little closer.  “Maybe,” she says in a voice only he could hear.
She continues, “Would you like me to?”


Ivan is excited, but confused.
“I must admit that I am confused,” Ivan says.


“I am too,” Chalyela admits.  She has no doubt that she has feelings for Gavin, but she finds Ivan to be so much more exciting.
“I better leave for the church now,” Ivan says in an attempt to escape this awkward moment; leaving Chalyela in a turmoil of mixed feelings.
As soon as Ivan leaves, Chalyela seems to snap back into her normal eloquent demeanor.  She gives her Advisor Kenna the same instructions that she gave Ivan.
“Sister Ermine is giving a special sermon in a few hours and I shall like you to attend.”

Kenna does not appear very happy about it, but she knows better than to refuse her queen.
Kenna leaves for the church, leaving Chalyela to her thoughts. Only while alone does she hear the growling in her stomach.
She claps her hands to alert Justinian the Servant that she wants food; secretly wishing that matters of the heart were as simple to fix as hunger.

Click here to read more of the Kingdom of Archolia

Labels: , ,