Archolia Chapter 39 - The Knight

Feeling very discouraged after his loss to swordswoman Olga, Ivan seeks prayer from Sister Ermine.
Sister Ermine greets him, “I witnessed your duel.  Are you feeling well?”
“I assure you, your Grace, that it was not as bad as it appeared.  I seek you because I have a difficult challenge that I am facing.  I need the Watcher’s favor over me.”
“Ah, so you have heard the Watcher’s call?”

“I  believe it was knocked into me when I fell on my head during my duel.”
Sister Ermine leads Ivan through the convert’s prayer.
“Thank you good sister,” Ivan says after Ermine finishes the prayer.

“Remember that the Watcher will guide all who seek her.”
Ivan is sure that the flesh wound that he received during his duel will heal just fine on its own, but he sees this minor injury as a great opportunity to seek out Bloodletter Gavin.
The clinic is ghostly silent as he approaches.  He prays that the Bloodletter is still awake.
Ivan enters the clinic into the empty waiting room.  Neither Bloodletter Gavin or his nurse is around.
Ivan is bitterly disappointed.  He wanted so much to gauge why the queen has decided to make the Bloodletter her courter, while ignoring Ivan’s attempts to get to know her better.
Ivan decides to return to the clinic in the morning.  Surely he will get the opportunity to speak with the Bloodletter then.
The next morning, bright and early, Ivan joins the small crowd of villagers making their way to the clinic.
Again, Ivan is disappointed that the Bloodletter is not there. “Excuse me madam, can you tell me the whereabouts of the Bloodletter,” he asks Nurse Jolene.

“He has gone out herb gathering, but he could be anywhere in the kingdom.  Are you ill?”
“I have sustained a small injury during a sword fight and was seeking first aid.”

“I can help with that,” Jolene says before applying leeches to Sir Ivan.
Ivan, who has experienced more modern healing techniques during his many voyages, cannot figure on how leeches are supposed to help heal the sword slice. 
He politely thanks nurse Jolene and leaves the clinic.
Ivan decides that the only sure way to solve his witch problem is to convince the queen.  His next destination is the castle.  He will not leave until Queen Chalyela believes that the kingdom is in danger at the hands of an evil witch.

Click here to read more of the Kingdom of Archolia

Labels: ,