Archolia Chapter 34 - The Knight

Sir Ivan arrives right on time.  Queen Chalyela is in the process of holding court.  He stands to the side waiting for his opportunity to address her.
Queen Chalyela sighs when she sees him.  “To what do I owe this visit?  Do you have any other fairy tales to entertain me with?”  She asks sarcastically.
“No your majesty,” Ivan says, bowing deeply at her feet.  It is obvious that now is not the time to bring up the witch.  He decides on a different approach. 
“I wondered if perhaps her majesty could join me in practicing military strategies.  I shall like to see where you are in securing a military front for Archolia.”

Chalyela thinks it over.
“I could use a break from these darned petitions.  Yes, join me at the tactical map.”
Chalyela stands and steps down from her throne.
Ivan hopes to loosen her up enough to broach the subject of the witch once again.
Chalyela approaches the tactical map with confidence.  “You know that my war strategies never fail,” she says with much certainty and arrogance.
Chalyela places her first piece on the map.
Sir Ivan places his piece carefully.  He maintains an unwavering focus on the board.  If he is to gain the queen’s respect, he needs to win this game.
Chalyela quickly counters his move, placing a second piece on the board and moving her first piece forward.
He places his next piece and the queen swiftly beats him with her next move.
Chalyela cheers shamelessly.  Ivan has awakened a competitive streak in her.
Ivan reacts by slamming his pieces on the ground.  He has blown his chance at gaining the queen’s respect.
Chalyela gets pleasure out of seeing Ivan sulking.
“You mustn’t take losing so hard.  I told you that I cannot be beaten,” Chalyela chastises Ivan, only helping to make him feel worse.
She continues, “Although I do enjoy seeing your face on the ground,” she says continuing to tease him.
“Well I did take it easy on you, so as to not find myself thrown into the pit of the beast for beating the queen,” Ivan says in an attempt to end the queen’s bragging and bantering.
Chalyela’s smirks in a knowing way, “I highly doubt that, but I applaud your effort.”
Ivan can see that Chalyela is in a fun light mood.  He decides to play it up by telling her a tale from one of his adventures.
“Well you see your majesty, I had to learn to be gentle with the ladies the hard way.  I was on this long voyage in the middle of the sea, when another ship pulled up beside us.  We allowed a representative from the ship to board ours…
…but it was not long before our mistake was revealed to us.  The figure who boarded our ship wore a long cloak, so we could not see the face.  Only the long sword that was held.  The figure boarded the ship attempting to rob us of our treasures…
…At the time, I was hidden in the shadows.  When I saw this person brandishing the sword and threatening the captain of our ship, I acted quickly. I grabbed the person by the scruff of the  neck.  The person screamed out in the voice of a woman.  I , shocked by the shrill cry, pulled off the cloak…
…It was indeed a wench.  A very fair one at that. All of the other crew members made merry at the fact that I had attacked a young wench…
…From then on I learned to be very gentle with the ladies.  I was able to show that one how gentle I could be later…but that is indeed another tale.”

Queen Chalyela looks away, slightly uncomfortable at Ivan’s subtle  sexual reference.  “Maybe you can spare me that tale,” she says blushing.
Both share an uncomfortable silence.  Ivan stares, while Chalyela looks away.
Not knowing what else to say after that, they both avoid each other’s eyes.
Chalyela finally breaks the silence,  “Well…uh…I guess I shall return to my duties.”
“I do apologize your majesty, if my story made you uncomfortable,” Ivan says in an attempt to smooth things over with the queen.

“Oh no…” Chalyela says all too quickly.  “Quite the contrary, I quite enjoyed your little…tale.”
“I shall like to hear more of your stories at another time.  But for now-”

Ivan interrupts, “I beg your pardon your majesty, but you cannot leave me with a loss.  You must give me a chance to redeem myself.”
Chalyela lifts her hands in a mock prayer to the Watcher, “Oh holy Watcher, why have you made men so proud?”
Ivan laughs at her little joke., then says, “So do I get to redeem myself or what?”



Click here to read more of the Kingdom of Archolia

Labels: ,