Archolia Chapter 29 - The Monarch

Royal Advisor Kenna is already at the town square speaking with the protestors and evaluating the situation.
Kenna spots the queen and walks over to meet her.
"Advisor Kenna, what is your assessment of the situation?  Is their chance of further uprising?”
“I think not your majesty,”  Kenna answers, “despite their passion for their cause, they seem to be pretty peaceful.”


“What do you advise that I do?”
"Can we get them to eat once again?” Chalyela asks hopefully.
“I believe they would starve to death first.  I advise you to go to the village and assess if their concerns have merit.”
“If you do so, the people will see that you care about their well-being.”
“I shall go there now,” Chalyela asks before turning to walk away; heading toward the village.
Chalyela begins the trek down the road to the village.  Upon arriving, she immediately sees that the village is over crowded.  Dirty children with no shoes run to her reaching out to touch her dress and hold her hand.  Her heart goes out to them and she gladly holds  a few of their hands.
She walks down the dirt road surrounded by giggling children. There is a foul stench in the air and she can see an abundance of shady looking characters standing around.  She can stand it no longer.  She  gently releases the children’s grip on her dress and from her  hands.  She quickly leaves the village.
The over crowed village remain in her mind.  If she allows some of the villagers to starve, it would ease some of the overcrowding.
In her heart, Chalyela knows that she cannot allow them to starve.  She will hear Hamfast’s demands.
Queen Chalyela approaches Hamfast with a fresh understanding of the conditions under which she and the other protestors have been forced to live.
Chalyela approaches Hamfast.  “I have been to the village and have seen the conditions.”
She continues, “I had no idea that things had gotten so bad.  I would like to invite you to the castle and hear your suggestions on how to improve things.”
“Follow me to my castle and feast at my table.”
Hamfast is at a loss for words.  She never imagined that the queen would be so open to their problems as peasants. 

“Your majesty, I am deeply honored.  I am your humbled servant.”
Chalyela appreciates Hamfast’s reaction.  Chalyela has always wanted to be a queen of the people and taking this step moves her one step toward being just that.
Chalyela arrives at the castle and immediately orders Justinian to prepare a meal for Hamfast.  “I am sure that you are ravenous.”  She says over her shoulder.
“Now, please inform me of the needs of the villagers.”  Chalyela says giving Hamfast her undivided attention.
“Well your majesty.  Our well has broken.  We have no fresh water available to use without the long trek to the well in the town square.”


“That can be fixed.  I will have it investigated.  What else is there?"
“Second your majesty, the streets are overrun with rats and our children are being bitten.”


Chalyela thinks this over.  “I shall speak to my advisor about hiring someone to catch the rats and set traps.” 
“And lastly, there is a shortage of food in the village.  There is much crime and merchants are afraid to enter our village to deliver goods and food.”

“I am in the process of fixing the lines of trade.  In the meantime I shall have food delivered to the village storehouses.”
Hamfast is overwhelmed in gratitude, “Thank you your majesty!”
Chalyela leaves Hamfast to enjoy her meal.  She takes to her throne, deciding to listen to a few petitions before going to see Advisor Kenna about solving the issues in the village.
Chalyela sits at the throne, allowing her subjects to approach her with their issues.

Click here to read more of the Kingdom of Archolia

Labels: ,