Archolia Chapter 27 - The Monarch

Feeling overwhelmed by the decision that rests on her shoulders, Chalyela leaves the castle, heading toward the clinic to visit Bloodletter Gavin.  She spots him heading her way as she climbs the hill.
“Good evening your majesty! Were you coming to see me?”  He asks hopeful.

“In fact I was Gavin.”
“Are you in good health M’Lady?”

“Do I need to fall ill in order to see you?  Can a queen not visit as a friend?”
“Of course your majesty!  You are most welcomed at any time,” Gavin says thrilled that the queen seeks out his company.
“I just…I needed some advice from…a friend,” Chalyela says suddenly stumbling over her words; surprised that her eloquence appears to be lacking in Gavin’s presence.
“I have longed for the day that you would seek me as your friend,” Gavin says, taking a chance at revealing some of his feelings for the queen.
Queen Chalyela’s face and eyes light up as her lips spread into a smile. Gavin cannot help himself, “You are stunning in the moonlight.”
Are you flirting with me?” Chalyela asks in a shy tone.
“I shall like to do more than flirt if it would not result in me being thrown to the beast or enclosed at the stocks.” Gavin answers.  The rocks at their feet suddenly capturing their attention as they both consider what may be happening between them.

Finally Chalyela answers in almost a whisper, “I shall like that.”
“Which, your majesty…me doing more or the stocks?” Gavin asks just to be one hundred percent sure of what Chalyela is implying.
“Oh Gavin!” Chalyela exhales drawing closer to him.

Gavin holds her back.  “Your majesty, you deserve better than me,” he says immediately regretting his self sacrificing statement.
Chalyela is confused.  “More than you?  Why do you say so?”
Gavin grabs Chalyela’s hands.  “My queen, you are young and beautiful…and I…I am too aged for you.”

“Do all of your parts still work Bloodletter?” Chalyela asks shyly.
Gavin thinks about the question and answers quickly when he figures out what Chalyela means.  “Yes, yes…of course M’Lady! Quite well I should add!” He answers enthusiastically.
“Then you have everything that I need,” she answers pulling him into a hug.

“You have no idea how long I have longed for a moment like this…”
Gavin pulls back and continues, “…but now that it is here, I do not feel I deserve it.” He avoids her eyes.
“I do not understand Gavin.  What is causing doubt in your heart?”
“M’Lady, I have done many things wrong in my life.  I enjoy one two many goblets of the ale every night.  I am haunted by my past.”
Nurse Jolene spots the Bloodletter and the queen having what appears to be an intimate conversation. A tinge of jealously fills her.
She quickly passes, hoping that they do not notice her, but Gavin notices her.
His eyes cut back toward the queen.  “Is it her?  Does she already have your heart?”  Chalyela asks questioning the glance that Gavin gives his nurse.
He feels guilty, though there is nothing to feel guilty about. 
He leans in and whispers his answer in Chalyela’s ear.  “No my queen.  Even during my marriage, my heart has always been with you,” he confesses.
Chalyela also confesses.  “I know,” she whispers in a voice barely audible, “I have always known”.
Gavin embraces the queen gently.  “I am a very happy man right now.”
Again Chalyela whispers in his ear, “Than please make me a very happy queen.”
Gavin and Chalyela say their goodbyes. Gavin glances back, but Chalyela does not move.
Finally she turns and watches Gavin as he walks to the clinic; happy that she may have finally found all that she has been looking for.

Click here to read more of the Kingdom of Archolia

Labels: ,