Archolia Chapter 23 - The Peteran Priest

Sister Ermine approaches the thief.


“You stole something that I need!”  Ermine says, throwing all fear to the wayside.
The thief is thrown off by the fact that Ermine would approach her in such a way.  Ermine raises a hand to emphasize her point and the thief actually recoils, thinking that Ermine means to strike her.
She is not intimidated for long.  “I know not what you speak of.  You gave to me freely.”

“ I seek no trouble.  Keep the simoles, I want the map that you stole from the monk.”
“I know not what you speak of.  The monk attacked me,” the thief  says, eyes looking downward, foot kicking rocks to conceal her untruth.

Ermine  thinks about the night she spent at the stocks.  She recalls the humiliation and pain.  She is not going to allow this thief to stop her from her mission.
“Sister, I have spent a long time punished for a crime that I did not commit.  In fact, for a crime that you committed! Give me the map or I shall take it by force!”
“I care not!  You will get nothing from me!”
The thief continues, “You are just talk.  Go pray to your Watcher and ask him for a map,” the thief says mocking Ermine.
“Go away from here at once or I shall call for the constable to return you to the stocks.”
“No!  You cannot continue to hurt good people. You will give me the map!”
Ermine continues, “How do you live with yourself?” 

The thief does not want to hear anything else from Ermine.  She covers her ear and pretends not to listen.
Ermine is done with this thief’s  games.  She prays that the Watcher protects her and reaches in to physically grab the map.  


The thief pushes her and slaps her face.  The two begin to brawl.
Fists fly, legs kick and faces are slapped.  Sister Ermine makes contact with one of the thief’s previous leg injuries.
As the thief attempts to use her hand to protect her injured leg, Ermine grabs her, flips her over and slams her hard on the ground. 
“OK…OK…here is the map.  You could have just asked!”  The thief says before handing Ermine the map and attempting to walk away on her injured leg.
As she limps away, Ermine realizes that she is not done with the thief.  “Hold it one moment.  I have more business with you,” Ermine calls out.


“What, do you now want to strike my injured head as well?”
“No, I want to pray the Watcher’s favor over you,” Ermine says and begins to pray.


The thief cannot believe that sister Ermine would do this after all that she has done to her.  She is so surprised that she hesitantly joins Ermine in prayer.
As they join in prayer, the Watcher’s glow surrounds them.
They are both filled with the power and love of the Watcher.
Ermine proceeds to minister to her.  “The Watcher has a greater plan for your life.  You need not steal and rob to have your needs filled.”
The thief feels the call of the Watcher and Ermine leads her in the convert’s prayer.
The thief’s eyes are filled with tears and her heart is filled with joy. Despite her dirty, grimy, unwashed body…Sister Ermine grabs her and gives her a hug. “You are good, sister,” the thief whispers.
She cannot recall the last time anyone has felt compassion or extended mercy onto her, but she is grateful.
“Thank you sister.”

“Do not thank me, thank the Watcher…and please, if you need anything – do not steal it.  Come and see me and I shall do my best to see that you get what it tis you need.”
Ermine leaves to return to the church as the thief limps away.

Click here to read more of the Kingdom of Archolia

Labels: ,